Not only is mold gross, it can be damaging to the health of you and your family, as well as pets and other loved ones who come into contact with it. Most people use their basement as storage, or a house-sized junk drawer, and then have a breeding ground for mold damage on the bottom level of their homes. Mold can cause those with Asthma or other respiratory diseases to go into distress, thus damaging their immune system further, and could potentially cause irreversible damage. One of the biggest necessities for preventing mold damage is to ensure the safety of you and the ones you share your home with.
How Mold Damage Occurs
Mold grows in places that are damp, and can grow in colonies starting just two hours after water damage occurs. The spores of the mold are tiny, lightweight seeds that can spread through the air. The colony of mold will then digest the material that it is attached to, and begins to destroy the material and whatever surrounds it. This is why it’s important to spring into action as soon as water damage has been suspected anywhere in your home, not just your basement. Once mold spores excessively grow, it can become impossible to get out of the exposed areas of your home without remodeling.
My Basement is Covered in Mold… What Do I Do Now?
Mold damage is one of the most common ailments of homeowners in America, and you aren’t alone when it comes to having mold damage in your basement. First things first, you should start cleaning the damaged area as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the higher your bill could go for repairs.
- Dry all of the damaged areas immediately. Mold damage is almost always caused by water damage, so if there is still water, the best way to combat mold damage is by trying to clean up as much as you can. The water removal process should begin immediately to ensure you are controlling the damage. If you can’t remove the water completely, the drier you can get the space, the easier it will be to manage the cleaning you need to do.
- Be cautious of what you see (and smell). Mold has a very distinct look to it, as well as a unique smell. If you see or smell mold, trust your gut, and remove it as soon as you have the means to. The longer it stays, the more particles will get into the air, which can cause sickness and more damage to your home or basement.
- Finally, be prepared to call in professionals. Mold can spread from walls, onto clothing, food, anything that is in the area that will be a safe breeding ground for the colony. Since mold is spread so easily, it can wreak havoc on your home from the inside out. It can be an expensive job, but it’s more dangerous to attempt removing mold damage without being properly trained.
Let Our Experts Handle the Dirty Business For You
If the mold damage is just too much for you to handle on your own, we have experts who are ready to make your basement good as new for you. Mold damage is awful to many, but to us, it is just another specialization. We are committed to serving the Ohio Valley, including Mahoning and Trumbull Counties. When you need disaster recovery services, Americon should be your first call. We are the Ohio Valley’s water and mold damage experts! Give us a call at (330) 583-5462 or visit our website today!