Mold has been referred to as the “silent killer.” There are many different kinds of mold, and some are more dangerous than others. Black mold is one type that can be dangerous, toxic, and even fatal in large amounts to humans and pets. There are “mild” molds that aren’t as dangerous to your health or your home, but unfortunately, most mold looks the same, so you really can’t tell which type you have just by looking at it. However, there may be ways to remove the mold on your own before it’s necessary to call in a professional. How does one identify the different types of mold, and what should you do if you find it in your home?

Different Types of Mold

Not every type of mold is deadly, and not every type is harmless either. One of the most important indications of which type of mold you have is your health. If you discover mold in your home, the first thing you need to do is think about how your health has been. Have you or your family been experiencing any respiratory symptoms such as shortness of breath, wheezing, or coughing lately? Have you been having more headaches or been excessively tired? If you’ve been experiencing these symptoms with no clear cause, it’s possible that mold in your home is making you sick. Unfortunately, there really isn’t a way to visually identify what type of mold you have. Molds can be many different colors, so types of mold aren’t often identifiable by color alone. 

Cleaning Up Mold On Your Own

For mold that is especially dark, thick, or widespread, you’ll need to call a professional. However, for smaller spots of mold, there are ways to clean it up on your own. Be aware that there’s always a possibility that you can’t see the full extent of the mold and cleaning up mold spots may be a “band-aid” fix. That said, bleach is your friend! If possible, wear a mask when cleaning or otherwise interacting with mold (preferably an N-95 mask or one with a similar level of protection) in order to avoid breathing in too much mold. Wear gloves as well, and goggles if possible. It’s always best to keep your exposure to a minimum in as many ways as you can. Make sure you’ve ventilated the room as well as you can, preferably with a fan and an open window. Not only will this help control spores from the mold, but it’ll help keep you from breathing in too many chemicals while you’re cleaning as well. Do not use straight bleach. Mix approximately 1 part bleach with 16 parts water. Put your bleach and water solution in a spray bottle and apply it directly to the moldy area. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes and then scrub at it with a cloth or a brush. Do not rinse the surfaces after you’re finished scrubbing them. 

When To Call a Professional

When is it time to let the pros handle the mold? Unfortunately, mold does reach a point where it’s best not to try and clean it up by yourself. If the moldy spot is particularly large and has spread or is in a hard-to-reach place such as the ceiling, it may be time to call a professional. If the mold has gotten into your carpet or wall, you will likely need some assistance, as it’s best to remove carpet and drywall that have severe mold infestations. Finding mold in more than one area of your home is also grounds for contacting professionals. They’ll have the tools and expertise needed to find all of the mold in your home and take the appropriate measures to remove it. 

Americon Restoration Can Help With Mold Damage!

If you find mold damage in your home, contact Americon Restoration for help! Our professional team is experienced in mold removal. We know you may have concerns about COVID-19 and we want to assure you that we are doing everything in our power to keep our employees and our customers healthy and safe. As an essential business, we are still open to serve you. Americon Restoration is taking all necessary precautions before entering our customers’ homes. We want you and your family to feel safe and stay healthy! Please contact us through our website or by phone at (216) 221-5200.